The Beauty of Travertine Marble floorsWilson Velez
Travertine marble is a sedimentary rock composed of several elements, the main one being calcium carbonate. This type of rocks present in nature originated millions of years ago by the deposits caused by rivers and other water currents.
The fame and use of travertine as a building material dates back to the time of the Roman Empire, one of the oldest and most powerful empires in the history of mankind.
Travertine continues to be a trend today, due to its resistance, colors and natural texture.
What is a travertine floor?
A travertine floor is a type of pavement made from a single rock called travertine. Because it is a sedimentary rock, it has a porous structure, and the calcium carbonate gives it a fibrous and soft appearance. Travertine flooring provides great relevance, elegance, and luxury to any space.
This material is composed of minerals, such as calcite, aragonite, and limonite; it offers white, beige, gray, ivory, or red shades and fibrous textures. The many colors make it compatible with different spaces and styles.
One of the qualities that distinguish travertine marble is its versatility, especially when it comes to finding uses and applications in which it can stand out. This type of natural stone has been used for thousands and thousands of years. The Romans built monuments with travertine marble that can still be admired today.
Benefits of travertine floors
- Resistance: travertine is a very resistant rock that can last for a long time. It is resistant to bending, heat, weathering and abrasion.
- Durability: travertine floors are very hard. Therefore, they can withstand heavy weights and compressions.
- Aesthetics: the beauty and elegance of these floors never go out of fashion. This is one of its greatest advantages. Travertine floors are timeless.
- Non-slip surface: travertine has a non-slip surface even if there is water. Due to its composition of calcium carbonate because this mineral gives it a fibrous texture.
- It keeps its color: as time passes this material does not lose its color, because it is resistant to ultraviolet radiation, a feature that does not allow the degradation of its color.
- Easy maintenance and cleaning: the travertine flooring will save you work and money, because you will not have to spend on expensive cleaning products. Care is very simple and does not require repairs.
Variety of travertine floor finishes and textures
It is surprising how the appearance of natural stone can change depending on the treatment applied. Marble can be natural or rough, and also polished, honed, honed, aged, etc. Depending on its application, one finish will be more appropriate than another.
Its appearance also changes a lot depending on the type of cut applied when it is extracted from the quarry and later: in slabs, slabs, etc. In the case of travertine marble floors, the format of the pieces that make up the flooring also has an influence on the space. The design of the pieces itself gives the place different essence, more classic or more modern, for example.
Where can travertine floors be used?
Travertine is a material used in different spaces due to its natural features. There is no limitation for this type of rock.
Kitchens and bathrooms: travertine can offer comfort and elegance. In addition, as flooring and covering it gives you the necessary quality needed in these spaces subjected to moisture and all kinds of chemicals.
Bedrooms: the travertine floors are ideal for decorating your bedroom. But this material also helps in climates that are very warm, as it brings freshness and comfort to the room.
Patios: houses where the patio is decorated with travertine acquire a beautiful and magical look. You can use this material to cover spaces around your home.
Stairs and pools: with a non-slip porous surface that absorbs water and possess great resistance are features that make travertine stand out. These properties make travertine flooring the perfect material for pool surroundings and stairs of all kinds.
Terraces: if you want to build open space, such as an elegant and modern terrace to take your family gatherings to another level, we recommend using travertine.
Terraces are one of those spaces where this type of rock is most used, and not surprisingly, it is ideal for these outdoor spaces.