I have an industrial warehouse: What type of flooring should I install?Wilson Velez
There are many material options for the installation of industrial floors, but you must know how to choose with knowledge, not any floor is adaptable; that is, yes, you can install some material on the ground, but that does not mean that it is the right material for what is needed.
When we talk about industry, we refer to large warehouses, factories, large premises, spaces and places that surely have a high level of traffic, where even vehicles can circulate, from forklifts to large trucks for unloading.
Also these places store and store materials of all kinds, therefore already knowing this we have criteria when choosing your industrial floors.
What Are Industrial Floors?
It is very important that you are clear about what industrial flooring is. Industrial flooring is a surface designed to withstand rough use and physical or chemical attacks that a floor of normal conditions would not resist.
There are currently different types of industrial floors, each with very specific characteristics. Industrial floors allow the development of different processes in different environmental and physical conditions, depending on the industrial or commercial area in which they are installed.
Types of Industrial Floors
Here you can check about the different types of industrial floors that you can find as well as the characteristics of each one of them. We do not have available of some of those floors, but we are not trying to sell you, but to give you the knowledge about the service and what you need.
Concrete floors, as their name suggests, are made of concrete.
For the installation of concrete floors it is necessary to take into account the use to which it will be subjected, the technical considerations of the place where it will be installed and its finish.
Here are some benefits of these kinds of floors:
- Concrete floors are extremely hard and resistant; they are able to withstand the pressure of heavy equipment such as cars, trucks, trailers and stacked boxes. Recommended for areas vulnerable to impact and weight.
- They have a long service life; with proper maintenance can last indefinitely.
- As for cleaning and maintenance of a concrete floor, it does not require extensive procedures to keep it looking its best.
- Usually concrete floors have a longer durability when an industrial coating is applied to increase safety and hygiene in the company.
The construction of a good industrial concrete floor requires a very good communication between the owner, user, engineering contractor and concrete supplier, as well as a proper construction process.In general terms, the process consists of passing troweling machines, first by placing metal plates, then wide trowels and finally fine finishing trowels. When the surface allows it, it is convenient to use double trowels, manned.
These are followed by polyurethane floors, which are a type of industrial flooring recognized for being of various colors and giving a plastic appearance.
- These floors are composed of a protective layer with greater mechanical resistance, greater resistance to heavy traffic and resistance to chemical spills.
- They are very resistant to abrasive traffic from pedestrian traffic or heavy vehicles and forklifts.
- Excellent for laboratories or factories, thanks to their resistance to chemical substances.
- You can see them in clinics and hospitals thanks to their qualities to maintain hygiene and cleanliness.
- You can find them in different and bright colors.
Finally, another type of industrial flooring is epoxy floors, which are industrial floors made up of layers of epoxy resins.
These have many benefits that combine those offered by the previously mentioned floors:
- They are waterproof and anticorrosive.
- Excellent chemical and mechanical resistance
- They resist great tons of weight
- Anti-skid, protect against grease and oils that are difficult to clean 100% solid and non-porous.
- They can be used in environments with high humidity index.
Now, you know these three types and you should keep in mind the criteria that your company requires when choosing the material for the installation of industrial flooring:
They must be resistant to water and humidity, thus avoiding wear and tear and work accidents; this is an aspect of utmost importance for all companies.
Non-slip floors are essential to avoid work accidents caused, in most cases, by falls and slippery floors. Some industries work outdoors and are exposed to rain or, on the contrary, work in areas covered with liquids and fluids. In these cases, an industrial floor with special textures is needed to prevent slips and possible injuries.
The adaptation of certain places for the development of an activity requires the installation of floors with certain characteristics, be sure to choose something that really suits your company and that can also guarantee high durability.